Monday, July 27, 2015

Sick Day

The best part about a sick day is watching the Price is Right.

Mom was a TPIR fan, so as a kid we'd watch it every day together while off school for the summer.  First there was morning chores (weeding the garden, or picking blueberries, yuck), then there was TPIR on in the kitchen while mom made us grilled cheese or a hamburger.

When I was in college, there was a group of us that would watch TPIR in the dorm commons; we'd schedule our classes around the show.  Bob Barker was the man.  These days, I rarely get to see it, and the nostalgia that washes over me always makes me feel that much better.

So here I sit, slurping on some chicken soup and watching TPIR and thinking about a blog post.

What does TPIR have to do with EVE?

It's the history of the show that brings me back.  The stupid antics that go on each day aren't compelling.  It's not the games (even Plinko, though Plinko rocks) ... it's the nostalgia.  The yearning for a simpler time, remembering walking across campus in the bitter cold to try to get back before the first call for contestants.

EVE has, to a large degree, become part of the constant background of my life.  Sometimes it's closer to front and center, sometimes it's on the proverbial shelf waiting its turn.

Right now, I'm going to take a nap on the couch and perhaps sleep through the showcase showdown, and then I may get EVE back off the shelf and shoot some Sanshas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alpha State

"Everything that has a beginning has an end."  That's one of my favorite quotes from the Matrix 2.  It has to do with the ...